The minimum qualifications that the participant must have are:
- At least 21 years of age
- Capable of reading and understanding the English language
- Basic knowledge of mathematics sufficient for effective performance as a Crane Operator
- Completion of the rigging and slinging course
- Must be physically fit and should have undergone medical examination at intervals not exceeding three (3) years.
Validity of Certificate
- Two (2) Years - First Time
- Three (3) Years - Renewal or Re-Certification
Successful participants who passed the written and practical test will receive certificates on Safe Offshore Crane Operations.
The course is divided into two sessions. The first session is classroom/theory training and the second is practical application of the course content.
- Pre start-up inspection with special attention to critical areas susceptible to failure and wear on individual cranes
- Operating and understanding safe load indicator, a quick check on its accuracy prior to start-up
- Understanding the crane capacity chart and how to relate this to the load, radius boom lengths and falls of wire rope on the hoist block
- Written examination
- Familiarization with their controls and their uses. Practice using the controls in a safe manner
- Emergency shutdown procedure. Avoiding hazards while lifting. How to part the machine after use
- Lifting the load, handling the load in the air, load control, controlling load swing and floating the load
- Crane signals, understanding the signals, placing of the banksmen in order to give best control of the lifting operation
- Practical test on the cranes using the controls in a safe manner
- Technical Examination in the classroom on the load capacity chart, wire ropes, etc.